Wednesday, August 28, 2019

ENT3003: 2A - Bug List

Assignment 2A: Bug List

1. In the Canopy Apartments gym, the dumbbell weights are all out of order and are not racked correctly
WHY it exists: The dumbbell rack at my apartment gym does not mark the order of where to put the dumbbells, causing them to be all over the place and unorganized.

2. People leaving trash outside of their apartment that attracts insects
WHY it exists: Canopy Apartments only have 2 dumpsters for the whole complex that are located near the edges of the complex, making it difficult for residents to dispose of their trash.

3. The Popeyes drive thru line (on N Main St) curls through the parking lot and backs out onto the street, blocking cars from leaving or entering
WHY it exists: After the introduction of their chicken sandwich, Popeyes has experienced an increase in business and this particular location on N Main St is not equipped for that kind of drive thru volume.

4. Finding parking at the Walmart in Butler Plaza
WHY it exists: The location of the Walmart does not have much room for parking or to build more parking spots. Also, there has been an increase in the number of apartment complexes surrounding them which has led to an increase in shoppers.

5. Loud noises and music that are coming from the neighboring apartment
WHY it exists: Canopy Apartments already have pretty thin walls, but they have now placed Bluetooth speakers in every bathroom which is causing an increase in noise.

6. No nearby basketball courts in/around my apartment complex
WHY it exists: Canopy Apartments used to have a basketball court, but recently converted that to a rock wall and cardio room to likely attract more people to live there.

7. Even with my Park & Ride decal, finding parking on campus at UF is nearly impossible
WHY it exists: There are too many students that go to the University of Florida and not enough parking spots to support the demand.

8. Lack of cellphone service in my apartment complex making it difficult to call friends/family
WHY it exists: The location where Canopy Apartments was built just does not have great cell service or access to a nearby cell tower.

9. Finding a shopping cart at the Butler Plaza Walmart during peak time
WHY it exists: Many shoppers are taking carts and after they are finished, they leave them all in the parking lot. Walmart is understaffed and unable to recollect these carts for future shoppers during this time.

10. Getting to the football stadium on game days
WHY it exists: Many alumni and students come to watch the Gators play, leaving zero places to park and overcrowding the buses.

11. RTS Rider app displaying inaccurate arrival times for buses
WHY it exists: There is likely a lag between the device tracking the buses and the app in relaying that information to us. 

12. Amazon leaving packages at the door of my apartment unattended
WHY it exists: The mailboxes in my apartment complex are too small to place packages and there is no place for delivery carriers to drop off these packages other than your front door.

13. Tide Pod residue stuck on clothes after washing them
WHY it exists: Tide Pods must be put in the washer before your clothes so that they can fully dissolve in the wash. 

14. Uneven pavement on SW 2ndAve makes it difficult to ride my long board 
WHY it exists: SW 2ndAve has a lot of houses that have gravel driveways which causes gravel to spill onto the sidewalks making it uneven. In addition, the sidewalk has cracks from years of wear.

15. Adidas website crashing when trying to buy Yeezy’s
WHY it exists: The website isn’t equipped for the very high demand of people that want to purchase Yeezys.

16. ProctorU proctors taking a long time to set up and prepare for the exam
WHY it exists: There are many different students that use ProctorU for very different courses so each proctor must spend time reading the rules and instructions for each exam.

17. Contacting the UF Financial Aid Office during the beginning of the semester
WHY it exists: The beginning of the semester is when financial aid disperses so many of UF’s students need help accessing or solving problems with their financial aid dispersion.

18. ESPN Fantasy Draft Room not always signaling a sound alert when it’s your turn to pick
WHY it exists: The ESPN Fantasy Draft Room may have trouble being compatible with each internet device and their respective operating system, creating problems when sending out draft alerts.

19. Having to cook 5lbs of chicken breast all at one time
WHY it exists: Walmart sells their chicken breast in bulk and they are wrapped all-together instead of individually, meaning that you have to cook them all at once.

20. Beats Bluetooth Headphones dying during a 13-hour international flight to Europe
WHY it exists: The battery life for the Beats Studio Wireless Headphones is not long enough to support travel exceeding 12 hours.

Reflection
For me, I thought this assignment was mildly difficult, but very interesting. The most difficult portion of this assignment was just identifying these particular bugs. I tend to recognize problems pretty quickly, but once I figure out them out I am able to start to understand why they exist. Asking myself why these bugs exist makes it easier to understand how these bugs are created. The interesting thing that I figured out about myself was that I tend to ignore/forget about some of these bugs after understanding why they exist, because it is difficult to figure out what I can do to fix these problems. I am confident that after this course, I will be able to change the way my mind views these bugs so that I am able to generate creative solutions to these problems, rather than simply forgetting or ignoring them. Understanding why these problems exist is important in figuring out a solution to fix these bugs. 

3 comments:

  1. Hello Javier,
    The one bug i can resonate with the most, are the noisy and loud neighbors. I have the bug as well; many apartments around here are built with thin walls, which is super annoying because you could literally sing to ever song they are playing (and my neighbors have a bad taste in music). I also have the same struggle on the airplane with my headphones. Air crafts and travelling in general have a lot ways to improve and become more comfortable. One major problem that you mentioned is that amazon leaves your packages in front of your door (unattended). There has to be a better way then this maybe we could dig deeper into this one and think of some solution!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good afternoon Javier,
    Many of the bugs that you have experienced are very relatable to me. One bug that caught my eye that I relate with the most is the Adidas website crashing when Yeezy's are scheduled to drop. I completely understand the reason behind this due to the fact that there is a numerous number of people on the website at one time, causing the website to crash. Since there are so many people flooding the website, the demand for the shoe is so high that the website can sustain itself. Additionally, I have to agree that the Rider app as well as the lack of basketball courts near my hall both bug me. Overall, many of the stresses that you go through are relatable and irritable to deal with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Javier,
    There are a lot of bugs here that are easy to relate to because they all happen so often. The one bug that I would mostly relate to is the fact that the ESPN Fantasy Draft room never lets me know when it is my turn so I continue to talk thinking I still have time and when I look back down on my phone or laptop I have ten seconds left on the clock to pick. Though it makes sense that sometimes different devices may not be compatible with even just getting alerts and I believe that it could be a somewhat easier fix in the software and such to be able to vibrate or just make a sound when it is my turn to pick.

    ReplyDelete