Friday, November 15, 2019

26A - Celebrating Failure

1)    Tell us about a time this past semester that you failed -- whether in this class, or outside of this class. Don't spare any details! It'd be even better if there was something you tried several times this semester, and failed each time. 
·      One time that I failed this semester would probably be outside of this class with an interview with American Express. I had done a great job with my first interview, however for my 2nd interview I had to do a video conference call with 2 HR Directors with the company. I hadn’t really prepared too hard for this 2nd round interview because I did very well the first time around. Needless to say, I was asked many questions about the company and the technical aspects of the position and I was very unprepared to answer those questions. As a result, I didn’t move on to the final round of interviews and I was very disappointed in my lack of preparation for the opportunity with their company.

2)    Tell us what you learned from it.
·      I learned that preparation is very important in almost every aspect of life. Being properly prepared allows you to be comfortable and ready for almost any situation that life throws at you. Time management was another big lesson that I learned from this experience as I did not manage my time very well prior to the interview, leaving me to decide which things I would prioritize in that short amount of time. I have used this experience as a learning opportunity to prepare even more for my interviews and this has led to me having greater success landing an internship for this upcoming summer.

3)    Reflect, in general, on what you think about failure. Failure is hard, isn't it? It's embarrassing, sure, but it also means that we have to change something about ourselves. Talk about how you handle failure (emotionally, behaviorally). Finally, talk about how this class has changed your perspective on failure -- are you more likely to take a risk now than you were just a few months ago?
·      I think failure offers great learning opportunity and a chance to grow as an individual. Failure is definitely hard and often times we are disappointed in ourselves for failing. The truth is that failure is a necessary component of life and that without failure, we are unable to improve ourselves and grow as people. I set very high expectations for myself and that is a major component that drives me as a person. When I fail, I often am frustrated and disappointed in myself and always end up asking myself what I could’ve done differently. You cannot go back and change these failures; however, we can analyze them and learn from our mistakes in order to ensure that it does not happen again. This class has changed my perspective on failure by making me more willing to fail. This class has taught me that failure is inevitable and that our reaction to failure is what will ultimately dictate how successful we will be. I think I am more willing to take a risk than I was a few months ago because I have learned that failing is okay. Failing has a way of teaching us more about ourselves and if we constantly stay in a level of comfort all our lives, then we will never push ourselves to improve and become better.


2 comments:

  1. Hello Javier,
    Failure is something that everyone goes through, sometimes even on a daily basis, whether it be big or small. The failure that you had gone through this semester is something that I can relate to when it comes to interviews, it is sometimes hard to fully prepare for an interview when you do not know what is really going to be asked and that can be difficult. In the end though, I can tell that the failure you had is only pushing you further towards success because it has made you better with interviews.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Javier,
    I appreciate you sharing your failures with the class. Sometimes admitting failure is one of the hardest things to do. You and I share something in common. We both set very high expectations for ourselves. I can attest to the fact that high expectations lead to failure but that those same failures lead to the best successes.

    ReplyDelete